Welcome to Early Years Foundation Stage
Welcome to Reception!!
Grasshoppers - Miss Webber, Mrs A Pugh (TA) and Mrs Mitchell (SNA)
Butterflies - Mrs Jones/Mrs Pemble, Miss Grove (TA)
Bumblebees - Miss Gregory, Miss Archdeacon (TA), Mrs Hannington (SNA)
The Reception year is one of the most important in your child’s educational journey. It is paramount to lay the foundations to become a life-long learner. The skills taught in Reception are comparable to the foundations for a house – we need to make them nice and strong!
We have an exciting and engaging curriculum that encourages children to become resourceful, inquisitive, communicative learners who will always ‘give it a go’ and challenge themselves to be successful.
One of our key aims is to make the transition into school life as smooth as possible for all children and we enjoy working closely with parents to ensure we develop each child’s love of learning.
The Early Years curriculum comprises of seven areas of learning that are statutory for schools to follow:
- Communication and Language
- Personal, Social and Emotional
- Physical Development
- Understanding of the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
We plan experiences that allow children to explore and extend their understanding continually and use observations to inform further opportunities. All seven areas of learning are closely linked and interweave into one another.
We believe that our emphasis on small group work with some whole class learning sessions achieves maximum results. We have a free flow unit that allows children to access all indoor and outdoor environments on offer. As a school, we use observations to inform our ‘Next Steps’ for children and endeavour to deepen thinking through questioning and reasoning skills.
Things to Remember
- Please ensure that your child brings in their ‘Fun Folder’ and book bag everyday.
- Please check your child’s book bag daily for any school correspondence and messages from class teacher.
- Please send in a piece of fruit every day for morning play (school provide an afternoon fruit snack).
- Please send your child in with a named water bottle every day (please fill at home).
- Please ensure that all belongings are labelled with names!
Please find below some useful guides for you to refer to. If you go to "For Children" under "Class Pages" you will find some useful learning links that can support you and your child at home. We hope you enjoy.
Stacey Webber (Year R Leader), Ruth Jones, Caroline Pemble, Callie Gregory and all the Reception team.
This flow chart shows the aspects that come under each area of learning – with some key statements that link directly to the Early Learning Goals children are expected to achieve to by the end of Reception.